All the Real Indians Died Off Myth#1 Chapter
Vocabulary and Concepts
Questions about the Text
1. Where does Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz say myths about Native peoples originate (8)? Who creates them? Why?
2. What is one example of a master narrative you have learned about the United States? Who do you think created it and what purpose or motive does it serve?
3. What is the “Vanishing Indian” (9)? How does it enforce the Indian Problem?
4. What is the primary difference between colonialism and settler colonialism (10)? What is the primary goal of the settler state?
5. Dunbar-Ortiz explains that genocide doesn’t always mean war or even killing people (11). What are the more “insidious” examples she provides to explain the United States’ genocidal policies against Indigenous people?
6. How do settler ideas and standards of authenticity hurt Indigenous people and contribute to their erasure (12)?