Politics & Policy in Health Care Systems
Health Policy Analysis Guidelines
7 page paper on the Topic on Health Care Systems Analysis Paper and Mock Testimony.
Topic: United States Mental Health Access Improvement policy (S. 2680/H.R. 2646) due on 5/19/19.
The purpose of the assignment is for students to develop knowledge about the analysis of a health policy issue within the context of the policy making process. This assignment can focus on a public health policy issue emanating from the federal, state, or local arena. The student will:
- Determine a specific topic/area of health policy to be studied obtaining instructor approval in Week One, designated Discussion Board.
- Research the policy/program using a variety of methods.
- Prepare a paper that applies components of the policymaking process using a stage-sequential model (Mason Leavitt Chaffee textbook Chapters 7-8) see attachment below.
- Include the following in the formal paper (each may be used as APA headings):
- A. Policy Problem(Mental Health Access Improvement Act)
- PolicyS. 2680/H.R. 2646
- a. Background
- Social Factors
- Economic Factors
- Ethical Factors
- Political Factors
- Legal Factors
- a. Background
- B. Policy Goals & Objectives
- C. Evaluations of Options & Alternatives
- Quality of Care]
- Protection of patient & provider autonomy
- Political Feasibility
- D. Nursing Implications
- E. Conclusion
- An abstract should be provided in your term paper. Abstract according to APA:
- Single paragraph
- Block format no indent
- Less than 120 words
- All numbers written in Arabic
- Paraphrase rather than quote
- Utilize active voice
- Explain any abbreviations utilized i.e. American Nurses Association (ANA).
- Paper is to be in APA format (use template) and proper in-text citations and reference list included. Supporting citations are to be within the last 5 years and authoritative sources such as peer-reviewed journals. Be sure to correctly cite the policy according to APA citation.
2-17-2012 LAB, updated 3.25.14 kld