WEEK 1 Assignment:
Responses to each question should fully answer and explore the question, may be less than or around 500 words (or whatever word count fully answers each question), and should be supported with scholarly research from your textbook and also often from outside internet sources, excluding wiki sources. Remember that well-written responses do not need to be excessively wordy. Be sure to paraphrase and cite your sources. Refer to APA.
Check Your Understanding (40%):
1. Why do we study ethics?
2. Why should we be concerned about doing “the right thing”?
3. If each of us has a unique set of influences and values that contribute to our personal value systems, how can that be applied to a community as a whole?
4. Based on the history of business ethics reviewed in chapter 2, do you think the business world is becoming more or less ethical? Explain
5. How would you propose the resolution of an ethical dilemma using the golden rule?
Exercises (20%) approx 750 words
1. Visit the following site: http://www.cfainstitute.org/ethics/codes/ethics/pages/index.aspx
a. What is the purpose of this organization?
b. What is the organization’s pledge?
c. Record three different codes/pledges/oaths from those listed on the site and discuss why they are important to you
d. Write your own pledge on a topic that is important to you (maximum of two paragraphs)
Case Study (40%) approx 750 words
Read issues one and two from Taking Sides. Choose one issue to respond to. Which viewpoint do you side with? Why? Explain. Reference at least two outside resources that further support the view point you side with.