Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /home/topgsnkq/public_html/nursingvault.com/wp-content/themes/enfold/framework/php/function-set-avia-frontend.php on line 637
Surgical Services Scenario
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum,
- Read Chapters 5, 7 ,8 , and 9 of Health Informatics: An Interprofessional Approach.
- Analyze the Wire diagram of healthcare supply chain information systems in Chapter 7 of your text (Figure 7.5).
Using the scenario below respond to the discussion question provided to you by your instructor. Based on your Ashford University major of study (e.g., Health Information Management, Nursing, Health Administration, Health and Human Services or Public Health) analyze benefits, risks, and operational issues associated with these informatics systems and exchange of data in these settings. Evalute the role of the HL7 (Health Level Seven standard as discussed in Chapter 5 of your text) interface standard in data exchange between these informatics systems. Specifically, analyze your response from the standpoint of the Wire diagram of healthcare supply chain information systems in Chapter 7 of your text (Figure 7.5).
As health consumers flow through the processes of being evaluated for a surgical procedure, (i.e., being admitted to the hospital, having surgery, recovering post operatively in the hospital and discharged to recover at home) there are a variety of informatics systems, processes, and data involved. These informatics systems exchange data with each other using computer programs called system interfaces. In order to provide care to customers as part of the surgical flow process, numerous informatics systems that share data must be utilized for both clinical and administrative functions.
Initial Post: Your initial post should be a minimum of 350 words. Utilize a minimum of three unique credible or scholarly sources (excluding the textbook or other course provided resources) cited in APA format, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) resource. Keep in mind that scholarly sources include peer-reviewed articles and non-commercial websites. Review the Ashford University Library’s Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) tip sheet for more information about sources. Multiple pages from the same scholarly website will be counted as one scholarly source.
Nelson, R. & Staggers. N. (2018). Health informatics: an interprofessional approach (2nd ed.). Retrieved from https://redshelf.com
- Chapter 5: Technical Infrastructure to Support Healthcare
- Chapter 7: Administrative Applications Supporting Healthcare Delivery
- Chapter 8: Telehealth and Applications for Delivering Care at a Distance
- Chapter 9: Home Health and Related Community-Based Systems
- Chapter 10: Clinical Decision Support Systems in Healthcare
- Chapter 11: Public Health Informatics
- Chapter 15: mHealth: The Intersection of Mobile Technology and Health
Koivunen, M., & Saranto, K. (2018). Nursing professionals’ experiences of the facilitators and barriers to the use of telehealth applications: a systematic review of qualitative studies. Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, 32(1), 24–44. doi: 10.1111/scs.12445
- The full-text version of this article is available through the CINAHL Complete database in the Ashford University Library. In this article, the authors provide information about the benefits and challenges of using telebehavioral health informatics in clinical practice. This information may assist you in your Week 2 Quiz and Week 2 Case Studies assignment this week.
VA telehealth services (Links to an external site.). (http://www.telehealth.va.gov/)
- This website provides information about how health informatics evolved in the health industry and may assist you in your Surgical Services Scenario discussion, Week 2 Quiz, and Week 2 Case Studies assignment this week.
Accessibility Statement does not exist.
Nelson, R. & Staggers, N. (2018). Chapter 5 Technical infrastructure to support healthcare [PDF]. Retrieved from https://redshelf.com
- This presentation provides information about the various aspects of information technology infrastructure such as networks, hardware, security devices, and software needed to support health informatics. This information may assist you in your Surgical Services Scenario discussion, Week 2 Quiz, and Week 2 Case Studies assignment this week.
Nelson, R. & Staggers, N. (2018). Chapter 7 Administrative applications supporting healthcare delivery [PDF]. Retrieved from https://redshelf.com
- This presentation provides information about informatics software applications that support in nature automating functions like payroll, billing, purchasing, and contracting. This information may assist you in your Surgical Services Scenario discussion, Week 2 Quiz, and Week 2 Case Studies assignment this week.