Week 3 Discussion 1
How can multicultural competence be an ethical issue as it relates to professional standards regarding competence to practice? Present three examples of how a counselor’s lack of cultural awareness could affect the quality and outcomes of counseling. What steps could be taken to ensure that counseling a client is both culturally competent and ethical? Cite a multicultural-related code from the ACA or NAADAC codes of ethics.
This discussion question meets the following NASAC Standards:
20) Understand the addiction professional’s obligation to adhere to generally accepted ethical and behavioral standards of conduct in the helping relationship.
21) Understand the importance of ongoing supervision and continuing education in the delivery of client services.
35) Seek appropriate supervision and consultation.
66) Demonstrate respect and nonjudgmental attitudes toward the client in all contacts with other professionals or agencies.
116) Demonstrate ethical behaviors by adhering to established professional codes of ethics that define the professional context within which the counselor works, in order to maintain professional standards and safeguard the client.
120) Utilize a range of supervisory options to process personal feelings and concerns about clients.
121) Conduct culturally appropriate self-evaluations of professional performance, applying ethical, legal, and professional standards to enhance self-awareness and performance.
122) Obtain appropriate continuing professional education.
123) Assess and participate in regular supervision and consultation sessions.
124) Develop and utilize strategies to maintain physical and mental health.