Probation and Parole – Treatment of Offenders
Competencies Addressed in This Assignment
- Competency 1: Dissect criminal justice ethical issues and practices.
- Competency 5: Communicate effectively in writing.
Imagine that you are working in a state probation and parole office. You have just celebrated four years on the job as a journeyman parole officer. Many of your colleagues turn to you for advice with their clients, and you consider yourself well respected by your peers and your supervisors.
Recently, you begun to develop genuine concern over a co-worker’s treatment of offenders. His office is directly next to yours, and on at least four occasions, you have heard him screaming obscenities at them in his office. One time, you personally observed him pat a female probationer on the buttocks, as she was leaving his office, and you heard him say to her, “Be sweet to me and I’ll keep you out of jail.”
What surprises you is that no one else in the office seems to notice anything wrong. You begin to wonder if you are misinterpreting things, or if there is a genuine problem brewing.
Prepare a 3–4-page paper, addressing the scenario provided. In your paper:
- Articulate what you would do in response to a co-worker’s unethical behavior.
- Explain what action you would or would not take, and the rationale for your action or inaction, based on your understanding of applicable ethical systems.
- Analyze factors you would evaluate in reaching a decision to contact internal affairs about the potential sexual harassment of a probation client.
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- References: Support your position with at least two academically verified sources.
- APA formatting: Format resources and citations as per current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Length of paper: 3–4 pages, not including the title page and the references page.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.