Start by reading and following these instructions:
1. Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
2. Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and any additional recommended resources. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
3. Consider the discussion and the any insights you gained from it.
4. Create your Assignment submission and be sure to cite your sources, use APA style as required, check your spelling.
5. LENGTH: approximately 1500 words
- Compare and Contrast the terms “allele” and “gene.”
- Define the following terms: gene, allele, dominant, recessive, true-breeding, homozygous, cross-fertilization, self-fertilization
- What is sex linkage? In mammals, which sex would be most likely to show recessive sex-linked traits?
- What is the difference between phenotype and a genotype? Does knowledge of an organism’s phenotype always allow you to determine the genotype? What type of experiment would you perform to determine the genotype of a phenotypically dominant individual?
- Complete the following genetic problem using the Punnet Square Method. Create a chart for each of the listed combinations.
the edible pea, tall (T) is dominant to short (t), and green pods (G) are
dominant to yellow (g). List the types of gametes and offspring that
would be produced in the following crosses:
- TtGg x TtGg
- TtGg x TTGG
- TtGg x Ttgg