Create a Case Study on Essential Drugs and Supplies for PHC
- This assignment takes place in weekly installments to enable you to build a case study about a real-life community level PHC program and how it guarantees essential drugs and supplies for the population it serves.
- Ideally you would describe a program in an area where you currently work or have worked in the recent past. If you are no longer working in the program, feel free to call or mail people still associated with the program to help provide information. We also recognize that not everyone has such experience at this point, so we are encouraging those without experience to identify an existing program run by a Non-Governmental Organization and/or Ministry of Health where you might like to work in the future.
- In either case, we expect you to conduct web searches and literature reviews to learn important information needed for the four steps in the assignment below. You must provide all references and links in the document, including mention of conversations with key program staff.
Case Study Step 1
Step 1: Overview
- Describe the location/service area for the community based PHC program
- Describe the focus and goals
- Explain the type of Community health Worker involved in the program
- Discuss the role of community participation in the program generally and in essential drug management
Case Study Step 2
Step 2: Procurement
- Outline the essential drug list used in the community PHC program and how it was developed
- Outline the forecasting/planning processes and links with the program’s information system
- Describe the procurement process
- Explain how drugs and supplies move from procurement all the way to community
Case Study Step 3
Step 3: Community Level Management
- Explain the training CHWs receive in drug management
- Describe how safety of drugs is maintained
- Outline the general record keeping for providing services to community members and in particular, the logistics information management system to keep track of supplies
Case Study Step 4
Step 4: Lessons Learned and Recommendations
- Describe the successes and positive experiences learned in providing essential drugs and supplies to this community
- Give an overview of the various challenges faced by the program
- Compare this program with one or more of the case studies in Module 3
- Give recommendations for future management and improvement of the program
List references. After references, please list any other thoughts or important information about the project that you think we should know and understand.